Search This Blog

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Old Dogs and Children and Unemployment Lines



*(c) 2010 - Joel Pett: Lexington Herald-Leader

The new economy has taught us that finding work is not so easy in a down economy. In some ways experience, a college degree and advanced training is probably working against you when you're looking for a job (any job) these days. I've interviewed for dozens and inevitably they select someone who is younger than me. HR people prefer someone for whom the job is a step up, not a step down; someone satisfied to work for less; someone less likely to take a better offer and hit the trail next week; someone who's not going to actually use the health insurance. I'm having trouble getting a job as a bagger at the grocery store.  Seems I'm not old enough.

Especially when there are anywhere from 20 to 100 applications for every job.  I find myself in the same position as the folks with disabilities I used to do vocational counseling with. Being gray-headed, in this job market is a definite disability.

When you are my age, about the only way to land a stable job is to create one yourself.

I'm working on that.

Tom King

No comments: