Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fool Me Once, You Might As Well Fool Me Again!


I hate being recruited by fanatics. They always start out by telling me how persecuted they are for their (quite rational and correct) beliefs. Me, I'm a sucker for a hard luck case. I've been on the unfair end of the stick so many times, I don't like to think about it. I suppose the "true believers" see me as a kindred spirit or something.

Then, about 3 or 4 steps along in the conversation or relationship or a couple of months after I've signed the check, I find out about the special underwear you have to buy or the mystical nipple ring of power they want you to wear and I'm left frantically digging an escape tunnel.

Remind me to do a Google search on anybody who tells me people are picking on him and that he only cares that things are done right or "authentically".  I'd like to see if there's not a reason everybody's picking on my new-found friend. Meanwhile, I'm collecting materials to build one of Mike Gregory's Cookie Tin Banjos (or maybe the cigar box one). I figure if you're going to play the banjo, you might as well be obnoxious about it.

Apparently, I'm not alone in that belief.

Tom

No comments: