Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Flying Over the American Wilderness

We're in Seattle today visiting family.  My wife has forbidden me to talk about politics while I'm up here. So far, I've obeyed her.  I listened to snatches of conversation as I walked out of the airport and realized I was a stranger in a strange land. I kept my mouth shut so my Texas accent wouldn't give me away and since the airline frowns on you packing heat, I was unarmed at the time.

Reminds me of the last time I was in Washington, DC.  A group of angry women heard my voice and asked if I was from Texas.  They launched into a diatribe about George W. Bush and I thought for a moment they were going to lynch me right there in the taxi.

On the way up in the plane, we flew over Texas, Oklahoma Wyoming, Montana and Idaho on our way to Washington.  For a long time we were flying over miles and miles of uninhabited country with no sign of human habitation.  I'm thinking I may need to check this out.

Every day, this world becomes less and less my home.  Every where I go there are people who are mad at people like me simply because I'm a Christian and conservatives.  I'm tired of a news media that wants me to sit down and shut up and hand over my wallet so I can be happier and contented.

Well, I've got news for the media.  I don't want to be contented!

I'm thinking of heading for all that wide open space.  All I need is some quiet corner by a mountain stream.  I'll build myself and my family a little cabin.  We can grow vegetables and stuff.  I'll put up a couple of windmills or put a generator on the stream, hook up satellite Internet service so I can continue to work.  I've got a 4 wheel drive SUV for getting to town for supplies.

I'll camouflage the whole thing so you can't see it very well from the air and do all my business electronically.  I could be very happy.  The technology exists to be totally off the grid out there.  I won't bother the wildlife much.  I might dam up the creek and make a lake, import a couple of beavers.  I could write some books about the wacky antics of the local raccoons and bears.

Someone demanded to know how I ever thought I could be happy out there isolated like that.  I told 'em I'd just check in on all ya'll on the Internet.  Five minutes on the MSNBC website ought to just about do it for making me very contented living out there in the wilderness.

I'm not kidding.

Tom King
Flint, TX

No comments: