In a quiet announcement on Friday, the Obama administration transferred control over the US Census Bureau from Commerce Secretary Judd Gregg, the new "bi-partisan" Republican appointee to the president's cabinet.
We didn't hear much about it because its a weekend and everybody's kicking back with a cold Coors or going to church or doing yard work. That was intentional.
So, who's the new boss of the Census Bureau?
Well, let's see. First lets look at the kind of boss we ought to have......
- The Census figures are used to allocate the distribution of government funds to states.
- The Census figures are used to plan government programs and determine who gets what and what kind of programs are created to meet what needs.
- The Census figures are used to draw congressional districts and determine representation in state and federal legislatures.
- The Census figures are used as ammunition to argue for or against government policies.
- The Census figures are used to plan taxation strategies.
So, who's the new Census Czar????
You guessed it. RAHM EMMANUEL.
Who is this Rahm Emmanuel who has been chosen for this honor and why pick him to oversee the census? Well, let's see:
1. He is NOT the Commerce secretary who has managed the Census as provided for in federal regulations. That man is Republican Judd Gregg!
2. He is a hyper-partisan Democrat whose most obvious talent is as an "enforcer" for the party
3. He is not the new Commerce secretary.
4. It might be nice to screw around with the data if you're trying to prove your policies are working and they're not.
5. Have I mentioned that he's not the token Republican on the cabinet!
6. The Latino and Black caucuses don't like the token Republican on the cabinet and don't think Secretary Gregg will deliver the kind of census they'd like to see.
7. Oh, and Rahm Emmanuel is a Democrat and not a Republican and that's always better.
President Obama may even have violated federal law. According to Title 13 of the U.S. Code, the Bureau is to be administered 'within, and under the jurisdiction of, the Department of Commerce.' According to U.S. Code, the Executive Branch is limited to providing support for the Bureau in the form of information and resources." This was done to provide a layer of protection for the process to reduce politicization of the Census so that we get an accurate picture of our country and not some politician's fantasy. President Obama has circumvented this code provision in forcing the Census bureau chief to report directly to his Chief of Staff.
If this stands, the US Census in 2010 could very well be an air-brushed, Photoshopped Democrat glamour shot designed to support liberal policy and to jury rig the electorate to insure another 50 years of Democrat dominance in U.S. politics.
God help us, but you can hear the jack boots marching.....
Just one man's opinion.