Search This Blog

Monday, July 03, 2006

When the Wind Blows...


A few years ago, someone gave me a catamaran sailboat. It had been sitting in a field for years, growing old and brittle. It still had all its hardware in a tattered sail bag and a couple of elderly sails, long past their prime.

I took it home and began restoring her. I replaced both hulls when they finally crumpled under the weight of the mast. I put an extra layer of fiberglass on the forward hull decks and added a cross brace between the hulls. I painted the hulls and bought a new trampoline. I rigged it up and dragged it down to the lake across from my house on a battered trailer that is much too small for it. My neighbor lets me keep it on his beach in the summer.

I never used to notice the wind. Now when I feel the wind begin murmering in the treetops, I instinctively look toward the lake. I can't always spare the time to answer the call of the breeze and take her out dancing on the waves. My life's usually too busy for me to spare the time. But I know she's there and she's always ready to catch a breeze and take me off across the water.

Just knowing she's there, waiting for me...

That's enough...

I can wait for a clear day when my chores are done...

Tom

No comments: