Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Why Am I Blogging?

I’m starting this weblog to have a place to put all the stuff that rattles around in my head (and maybe yours too). It’s unlikely very many people will see this, but if you’re here, welcome. I’ll try to keep it short, but there’s no guarantee of that. My wife says I talk too much and nobody really wants to hear it. Since I have to talk or I will explode, this weblog provides me a less messy alternative to boring my co-workers or spontaneous combustion. If you’d like to respond to one of my ramblings, just drop me an e-mail and I’ll add your reply to this blog. I look forward to hearing from you.

Brief Bio:
I’m a native Texan. I’ve spent my 30-year career working as a teacher, counselor, fund-raiser, grant-writer and administrator in nonprofit human services working with children, youth, seniors, people with disabilities and homeless persons. I’m a member of the Texas DOT Public Transportation Advisory Committee and have been an advocate for improved public transit for seniors, people with disabilities and low-income families in rural and small town Texas for the past 5 years. I’m a conservative politically. Ronald Reagan was my favorite president. Camelot was my favorite movie. C.S. Forester’s Hornblower novels are my favorite books. My favorite TV series is Stargate SG-1 and Star Trek Enterprise. I play folk guitar, long-necked banjo and harmonica. I’m a Seventh day Adventist Christian. I’m on two nonprofit boards, am vice-president of the Tyler Homeless Coalition and work as a volunteer web-raiser for East Texas Virtual Village. I’m a published writer, poet and author of “The Charity Golf Tournament: A Survivor’s Notebook”. I’m married (31 years and counting) to Sheila Keen, a tall pretty Louisiana girl and together we have 3 children and three grandchildren. I’m a sailor, canoer and dabble in amateur astronomy.

Tom King
(c) 2005